Monday, October 10, 2022

How to find a therapist for me

Finding a therapist is the same as finding a great hairdresser or barber. It can have an effect on you that others can clearly see for a while. Of course there are different strokes for different folks. Each therapist/counselor/psychotherapist has their own personality. Sometimes that will be what keeps you or causes you to go away looking for another therapist.

First you should ask yourself some questions:

  • Am I really ready to work on myself?
  • Am I ready to realize some things about myself that I might have been denying for a period?
  • Am I looking for someone to only look at me and nod?
  • Do I want an interactive therapist?
  • Am I willing to stay in therapy until my goals are met or exceeded?
  • Am I ready to have a more fulfilling life?
  • Am I willing to be consistent and to put my mental health first?
  • Am I having mental health concerns?
  • Am I having relationship concerns?
  • Am I not being the best parent that I can be?
  • Am I unhappy?
  • Am I uncertain about what to do with my life?
  • Are my thoughts racing?
  • Am I having difficulty sleeping?
  • Am I ready to be wholly honest with the counselor to get a great outcome?
  • Am I able to consider my therapist how I might need my therapist to consider me?
  • Am I stable but I want to have someone to check in with monthly or quarterly to ensure that all continues to go well in my world?
Finding a good therapist for you should include:
  • Choosing to pay cash (to keep all of your information private) or to use insurance
  • If you will use insurance-looking on their site to find someone in your state
  • (I can see clients internationally, in Texas, Delaware and in New Mexico in the U.S.)
  • Another great site to find therapist options is Psychology Today
  • Read their profiles (which one do you feel like you relate to the most)
  • Choose at least two to call to have a short consultation with 
  • Have two to three questions ready to ask during the consultation and take note of the answers
  • Choose a therapist, make an appointment
  • Read everything that you sign as each therapist has their own guidelines which may discuss fees, missed appointments and other noteworthy topics
If for any reason you are wanting a therapist to agree with everything you say, you may not find that. It is possible that your perspective on things is quite clear and that could happen. Just, don't let a varying perspective turn you off or away from therapy. 

To find success in therapy, there are three things that will often be required. 

They are:
  1. Make a plan (treatment plan)
  2. Implement the plan
  3. Be consistent with following the plan, attending therapy and completing the homework given 
I hope that this has been quite informative for you. If you have any questions, please response here or use the link below to reach out.

Shana Trahan, LPC
World Renowned Therapist

Treating clients: Internationally, in Texas, Delaware and in New Mexico


No comments:

Post a Comment